Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Getting a full leg cast on Monday
Megan_K    9:55am Mar 15 2020

I am sorry to hear about your injury. I also had a spiral fracture of the tibia and a fibula fracture that occurred while I was skiing. I was just walking into the lodge, but still had my ski boots on and slipped on ice! I had to have surgery immediately, is surgery a potential for you?
I am now 11 weeks post injury and am hoping to get out of the cast later this week! It has been a very long recovery, the hardest part is definitely the mental aspect. I found many helpful tips on this site. First, if ANYONE offers you help, say "yes!". I got bored with TV and books pretty quickly so I ordered a complex cross-stitch kit off of Amazon and spent several hours a day working on that while listening to podcasts.
Since you will be immobile, set up a "station", a little table next to where you are sitting/laying with your leg up. Make sure you have plenty of water, snacks and phone charger. Once you have a full cast, bathing will be difficult. I ordered a shower chair, large trash bags and duct tape. A handheld shower is a necessity.Every other day I would carefully wrap my cast up so I could sit in the shower. Other days I would take a sink bath, just cleaning the necessary parts. I also ordered a few pairs of wide leg elastic waist pants.
You will be very tired. I was very frustrated by this at first but several people on this site reassured me that this was to be expected and I needed to rest for the bone to heal.
Feeling sad and depressed is something many experience with this injury. I cried a lot the first several weeks. You will recover from this. If you have any other specific questions, please ask! Also, read the FAQ's on this site.
Megan in Texas

Megan Kelly
tib/fib fracture with spiral into posterior ankle malleolus-12/31/2019
IM nail, plate and 7 screws-1/1/2020
Cam walker boot-2/18/2020
out of boot,ankle brace-3/19/2020

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Getting a full leg cast on Monday  new
Isla  4:40pm Mar 14 2020
 Re: Getting a full leg cast on Monday  new
Megan_K  9:55am Mar 15 2020
Isla  2:21pm Mar 15 2020
 Cast is on and it is huge!  new
Isla  1:37pm Mar 16 2020
 Re: Cast is on and it is huge!  new
Becca Baker  4:41pm Mar 21 2020
Davie J  8:46am Mar 23 2020
Davie J  4:38pm Mar 23 2020
Allessandra  1:25pm Apr 7 2020

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
24 May 2020