Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Help me! I'm getting a bent knee cast on Monday and I've never had a cast before
anna.doyle53    12:37am Mar 27 2018

Hi Katelyn,

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident! Hoping you are feeling a bit better today.

My 16 yr old son is in a similar situation as you right now, though he's a couple weeks ahead of you. Unfortunately he suffered a double break of his tib/fib in a soccer game 2 weeks ago. Our doctor opted to set his leg and cast it, and he is now on day 10 of his full leg cast.

The most important thing you can do is to elevate and ice your leg as much as possible once the cast is on. It doesn't seem like much fun and can be painful, but it's very important since it prevents swelling and allows your break to set evenly. I place a large ice pack directly over his fracture site and place a small towel under the pack to make sure his cast doesn't get wet.

I know you must be frustrated with your cast. My son was too, and we were initially surprised by how big it was! However it's a serious injury that needs to be treated properly. My son has found it easier to use his wheelchair so far but he will soon be using crutches more frequently as he adjusts to his cast. As for showering, you should certainly use a cast cover. We found it easiest if we set up a small plastic chair in his shower to sit on while he keeps the cast covered and propped up on another chair outside of the shower.

Finally, try to stay positive! A broken leg is NO fun but I believe my son is making the best of it. He has had many friends come over to keep him company which has really helped out. he is definitely bummed to be sitting around all day in a cast, but remember that it's only temporary. you will get over this!!!

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you're feeling troubled, and I hope you start feeling better!

- Anna

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Help me! I'm getting a bent knee cast on Monday and I've never had a cast before  new
Katelyn Liz Z.  4:47pm Mar 24 2018
 Re: Help me! I'm getting a bent knee cast on Monday and I've never had a cast before  new
Sarahwhiteleg  9:31am Mar 25 2018
 Re: Help me! I'm getting a bent knee cast on Monday and I've never had a cast before  new
anna.doyle53  12:37am Mar 27 2018
Lauren Mikles  6:25pm Apr 3 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
15 November 2018