Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Broken tibia and fibula - surgery - recovery
Fletcher    3:24pm Mar 5 2013

Hey everyone,

My name's Fletcher, I'm a 22 year old recent university graduate from Australia and I fractured both my tibia and fibula two weeks ago skiing in Japan. Japanese doctor put me in a full leg cast and said the positioning was good, so I would not need surgery. However upon returning home and seeing an orthopaedic surgeon, he said that I should have surgery - he explained that it was like a rod put in like an internal splint - which is happening tomorrow. As far as I know, I think that the tibia break is a spiral fracture (it looks the worst), and the fibula fracture is smaller.

I am just beginning to get incredibly frustrated about staying in bed with my leg up so I thought I might vent and ask some questions. First of all, I was okay with walking on crutches days after the break, the only pain was the physical effort and if the break itself was disturbed. Now when the blood flows into my leg, it makes me foot go red, and my whole leg aches with being filled with blood. This is normal yes?

Secondly. The orthopaedic surgeon said, that after the surgery, I would have a bandage and an orthopaedic boot instead of a cast, and that I would be able to start weight baring in SIX weeks. Though it kills me, that seems like a lucky heal time before beginning to walk for a broken leg. I get the feeling its too good to be true though.

Can anyone with similar experience say whether I can expect to begin walking in six weeks?

Tomorrow (surgery) is the 7th of March, six weeks is about the 19th of April. I have my favourite band's concert on the 26th of April, seated tickets. Is it plausible that I would make it? Thanks for your time

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Broken tibia and fibula - surgery - recovery  new
Fletcher  3:24pm Mar 5 2013
 Re: Broken tibia and fibula - surgery - recovery  new
ASR  3:43pm Mar 5 2013
Geoff P.  7:38pm Mar 5 2013
SisB  8:09pm Mar 5 2013
flitcraft  7:26pm Mar 7 2013
Fletcher  1:58am Mar 8 2013
SisB  8:04am Mar 10 2013
flitcraft  6:10pm Mar 10 2013
Sarah.C  10:18pm Mar 14 2013

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
18 December 2014