Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Recovery time after ankle hardware removal
Wade    12:24am Apr 27 2011

Hi everyone,

I am wondering how long the recovery time is after hardware removal. I am a Respiratory Therapist and I work 12 hour shifts and I really cannot afford to be out of work for too long, but my hardware is driving me crazy! The 1 screw in the medial malleolus has bothered me since it was put in, but it seems like the plate and other 7 screws on my fibula is hurting more now.

I broke my ankle in October and finally was back to full duty at the beginning of January. I did relatively well with my recovery after an initial infection 3 days post-op. I was determined that I would not have a limp and I insisted on starting PT 3 times a week 2 weeks post-op. I was NWB for 8 weeks, then partial WB for 2 weeks in the boot, then full WB for 2 more weeks in the boot. I am happy to say that the only time I limp is after I've been sitting for a while and it's more my hips than my ankle. See below :)

Also, I have bone spurs, arthritis and bursitis in my hip joints that has gotten worse since breaking my ankle. I had been babying them, trying to delay a resurfacing/replacement but the crutches and extra pressure did me no favors at all! I was thinking about asking my ortho to try to do both things at once, to shorten the time needed out of work. Is there anyone that has had both procedures and would you recommend this?

I found this site when I broke my ankle but this is the first time I couldn't find an answer to my question :)

Trimalleolar Fracture 10/02/10, ORIF 10/07/10 with 1 plate & 8 screws

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Recovery time after ankle hardware removal  new
Wade  12:24am Apr 27 2011
 Re: Recovery time after ankle hardware removal  new
emrldrose  6:42am Apr 27 2011
ASR  10:45am Apr 27 2011
suzyw  8:22am Apr 28 2011

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
2 October 2014