Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

how much longer will my foot turn purple?
Kathski    9:01pm May 12 2010

Yep, I'm a newbie here...unfortunately...

3/31/10, while some of you were reading posts, replying, whatever - I was out skiing. Beautiful powder day - three feet at Squaw Valley ... but poor visibility, too many skiers on the slope, and a guy crashed in my path, buried in the snow. I could not see him until he was just two feet in front of my ski tips (as I skied at ~ 20 MPH). A cartwheel, a caught ski tip, and many screams later, ski patrol were on their way to pick me up.

The bright side was that I was rolled into the OR just five hours later - best to get it over with, I say. My OS explained that plates were the best solution for my 'severely comminuted distal tibia and fibula fracture.' In layman speak, that means the lower five inches of my tibia was crumbled into many pieces, while my fibula broke clean through. Both were displaced towards the inside (medially) by about an inch. No morphine for three hours. Ouch. No, make that triple OUCH, OUCH, OUCH. Well, honestly, it was a different four-letter word - any guesses???

Net result: two plates, sixteen screws, and two days in the hospital.

So it's now been six weeks. For the first three weeks, I spent nearly 24x7 lying down with my foot elevated, and for the past two weeks I've been able to sit up comfortably with my leg out straight. (My brother's lazy boy now has my name engraved on it.)

But the question is - how soon will I be able to be able to be fully upright (in the darth boot, with or without crutches) without my leg turning purple? Currently I can tolerate being fully upright for about an hour, and after that the swelling and pressure start to build.

Btw, in my latest x-ray (@5 weeks) some of the fractures showed signs of healing (the ones closest the ankle joint), but the main break in the tibia still had not formed a callous yet. With the bone not healed will I still have swelling/circulation issues? (But at least I'll be walking - I hope!) For reference, I'm 35.

I'm going back to school in August and I'm going to need to be on my feet nearly all day. I'm really hoping that I'll be in good enough shape by then. Yes, I have ordered compression stockings.

Please share your timelines with respect to swelling/circulation discomfort - and whatever else wrt to a pilon fracture! Youch!

- Kathleen

3/31/10 - Tib fib pilon fracture, two plates and sixteen screws
4/9/10 - 33 staples out, Darth boot, NWB
6/1/10 - WBAT, large gaps still in the bone
... the rest TBD

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

how much longer will my foot turn purple?  new
Kathski  9:01pm May 12 2010
 Re: how much longer will my foot turn purple?  new
SadieMom  9:08pm May 12 2010
ASR  10:00pm May 12 2010
Kathski  11:43pm May 13 2010
JenG  10:13pm May 12 2010
Kathski  11:50pm May 13 2010
Austin Weiffenbach  11:09pm May 12 2010
Kathski  11:55pm May 13 2010
Teri Miller  12:24am May 13 2010
Adrienne Boles  1:14am May 13 2010
Charlene C  10:25am May 13 2010
Jabes  11:28am May 13 2010
Kathski  12:03am May 14 2010
Abbie in GA  7:41pm May 15 2010
KateinMaine  9:04pm May 15 2010
Jabes  5:10am May 17 2010

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
1 October 2014