Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Ankle screw removal after 12 years... any risks?
Pascal (---.188-203-24.mc.videotron.ca)   5:13pm Mar 19 2007

Hi! About 12 years ago, I got some accident and they had to put a screw in my ankle. I could live with the screw without much discomfort until a few months ago. It started to ache a bit and the surrounding area started to sore a bit too. The first OS I've seen was reluctant to remove the screw. He claimed that the ache is not big enough to justify a such "risky" surgery. His argument? After 12 years, the screw is likely to break and cause complications! Then, I saw a colleague OS. He was quite positive in removing the screw. He said that any stranger material should be removed and there's no risk to remove the screw even after 12 years. My appointment is in a few days. My questions:

1) Since I'm not feeling much ache yet, I'm a bit reluctant to get the screw removed (benefits versus risks). After 12 years, is it risky to have such surgery? Is the screw likely to break? What happens if it breaks?

2) OS recommended to do the surgery with a local anesthesia (plus a sedative if needed). I'm a bit anxious about the surgery itself and having to whitness the intervention. Is it painful to get an ankle screw removed with only local anesthesia? Is the local anesthesia itself painful (compared to an IV or blood stool)? Do they have to use a "tourniquet" for the local? is it painful?

3) Which kind of recovery should I expect? Should I be able to drive after a few days (2 or 3 days) for such "mild" surgery (according to OS)? What about gym?

Bottom line: I still have 3 more days to cancel the surgery but I feel I should go for it because soon or late, I'll have to face it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Ankle screw removal after 12 years... any risks?  new
Pascal  5:13pm Mar 19 2007
 Re: Ankle screw removal after 12 years... any risks?  new
Susie Q  8:27pm Mar 19 2007
solstice621  9:34pm Mar 19 2007
Pascal  6:54am Mar 20 2007
solstice621  8:18am Mar 20 2007
 Robbyn, That's the name...  new
Susie Q  8:44am Mar 20 2007
Susie Q  8:26am Mar 20 2007
Pascal  9:49am Mar 20 2007
Ruth_N  4:01pm Mar 20 2007
Lisa P  4:51am Mar 21 2007
A__Sykes  6:24am Mar 21 2007
Pascal  7:17am Mar 21 2007
Hazel  4:48pm Mar 21 2007

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
21 October 2014