A collection of frequently asked questions about broken legs
with answers donated by Dr Myles Clough MD, D.Phil., FRCSC. (Orthopaedic Surgeon,
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada and Clinical Instructor, Department of
Orthopaedics, University of British Columbia).
His broken leg glossary
is also very useful.
First timers might also like to check out the list of terms we use on this site.
Search the FAQ files
- Why does it itch so much?
- How do fractures heal?
- bone healing rate
- Electrical Bone Stimulation (and Ultrasound)
- How long will it be before I can play contact sport again?
- Where did that stitch come from?
- Non Union; what is it? what causes it? can it be treated? what can we do?
- After the casts are off
- Starting To Walk
- Smoking and Healing
- What is normal pain after a fracture?
- What types of pain after fractures are abnormal?
- Why is hardware painful?
- What are adhesions and why are they sore?
- Snap, Crackle, Pop
- What is post traumatic osteoarthritis?
- knee pain
- What is a Richards Nail?
- Should the hardware be taken out?
- Does Hardware have to come out on schedule?
- What is exchange nailing?
- What is an IM Rod?
- Is removal of an Intra Medullary rod a difficult operation?
- What to do if a new surgeon is planning to take out hardware.
- Does it hurt to remove the hardware?
- femur re-fracture after hardware removal?
- Cast after hardware removal?
- Hardware removal
- Ankle Screw Removal - the details
- Fibula fracture
- Swelling in dislocated broken ankle
- What does Acute mean?
- Can I drive with a cast on?
- How do I find an orthopaedic surgeon?
- Is Antibiotic Coverage for Dental Work needed after fracture treatment with hardware?
- Links to information on fracture healing and treatment
- Can improvement be expected after one year?
- List of fractures
- Bone Graft
- How does the broken bone assimilate the graft?
- How is bone graft attached to the broken bone?
- When can I start exercising my toes and ankle after a tibial fracture?
- Physical Therapy
- What are some suitable exercises for the ankle?
- glucosamine and chondroitin
- Do Anti-inflammatory medications inhibit bone healing?
- Why do they make the cast so heavy?
- Walking casts
- Walking cast?