Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search

Adam : Happy Birthday To Me
Diary entry posted Thu 6:29pm 4 September 2003

I woke on July 30th to my daughters singing happy birthday to me. As soon as they were done, it hit me, 4 hours to go until we leave for the hospital. How would I spend the time? The next minute the phone rang. The doctor had a cancellation, could I come in immediately. I hung up the phone and told my wife to get dressed. We were out of the house at 8:30 am.

Since the doctor was now running behind, I zoomed through check-in, and was in a gown within 15 minutes. 3 people came up to me and asked me the same three questions, it went something like this:

1) Q. What did you have for breakfast?
1) A. Nothing
2) Q. What are you having done today?
2) A. Getting my ankle fixed
3) Q. Which one?
3) A. The right

The anesthesiologist told me that I would be completely under. This didn't register with me until he told me that an intubation tube would be put in to help me breathe. I figured this sounds a lot more serious than other surgeries I had. My doctor then walked in, we had our friendly chit-chat, he told my wife to kiss me, and I was off to the OR by 9:30.

I got on to the operating room table, and had my arms restrained immediately. I talked to the doctor again for a second. The nurse put a blanket on me and asked me if I was warm enough. I told her I was, and the next thing I know, I'm staring into the eyes of another nurse and telling her how bad my ankle hurt.

She asked me what level the pain was. I told her bad. She said I clearly don't remember the scale. She gave it to me and I told her it was an 8. She said okay, and gave me some drug through the IV. About 10 minutes later, she told me that in order to go home, all I had to do was urinate.

I drank a cup of coffee, and what seemed like gallon of water. Apparently, I went to the one hospital where they don't trust you to urinate alone, or use crutches anywhere on the premises. Both a male and female nurse wheeled me to the bathroom. Not since high school have I had any kind of stage freight. Finally after about 5 minutes of no success, I asked them to wait outside, and told them I would call them in before flushing. After a quiet conference, this seemed like a good idea. 15 mintues later, I was on my way home.

The drugs must have been pretty good because I no longer felt a thing. I was on the cell phone to the office, my parents, and friends. By 1:30 I was home. We had some lunch, the girls sang me happy birthday with a Carvel Ice Cream Cake, and I was playing with my new Gameboy. Yes, life was pretty good. My mother- in-law took the children to her house, and it was just me and my wife hanging out on the couch. She slept, and I got started on the Harry Potter series of books I received as a present from my family

Before I knew it, we were eating dinner and finishing off the cake. Just as I had my last bite, the medicine from the hospital wore off. It took all of second to go from no pain to excruciating pain. I took one percoset. After an hour with no resolve, I took a second one. This would prove to be useless. I could not for the life of me find a position to lie in where I would be comfortable.

I begged my wife to go upstairs to sleep since there was no reason for both of us to stay up. All night long, it was sleep for 10 minutes, wake up in pain, and then spend 15 minutes trying to find the position that would allow me to fall asleep again.

The next day, she begged me to go call the doctor for stronger medicine. I explained that I just had my bone drilled into and that it would hurt for a little while. At about noon, the pain started dulling away. By 5:00 PM, it was gone. I no longer needed any pain killers or Advil. I decided that the next mroning, I would brave the way to my downstairs home office, and attempt to get some work done.

Back to Adam's homepage
   Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search
 Thu 6:29pm 4 September 2003
Paul Kennett © 2000-2018 Kennett Bros Web Design